About Shany Porras
You are welcome to
contact me for a private showing.
My paintings serve as a visual reminder of emotions felt when you experience listening to music.
VISUAL MUSIC ARTIST
My artistic journey explores the interplay between visual art and music, where I find inspiration and translate the emotional landscapes of various genres into vibrant and expressive abstract paintings. Through my work, I strive to bridge the gap between two art forms that share the power to move, provoke, and stir the human spirit.
Music possesses a remarkable ability to evoke deep emotions, transcending language, and cultural boundaries. It can transport us to distant memories, ignite our passions, or calm our restless souls. As a visual artist, I seek to capture the essence of music and translate its intricate melodies, harmonies, and rhythms into a visual language that resonates with viewers on a visceral level.
In my process, I immerse myself in the music I aim to translate, allowing its energy and mood to envelop me. First, I study the music I wish to resolve by reading scores visually and perhaps learning the music on the piano, although I am a novice musician. Next, I create sketches and annotate the emotions via potential colors and textures that capture the themes. I also define which part of the music I will translate, as I can rarely capture an entire piece in one painting. This results in a series of paintings translating a single piece of music. Then, when it is time to paint, I surrender to the music’s cadence and let the melodies guide my brush strokes.
Additionally, I employ an intuitive approach to translate the sonic vibrations into a dynamic visual vocabulary. Abstract painting offers me the freedom to break away from the constraints of literal representation. Instead, it allows me to delve into the realm of the subconscious, where colors, shapes, and textures intertwine to create a visual symphony. At times, each brushstroke or color is an individual note, and the layers of paint build up like chords, creating a harmonious or dissonant composition. Just as music can be structured and improvised, my process embraces planning and spontaneous exploration, finding a balance between control and surrender.
Through my abstract music translation series, I aim to create a visual symphony that invites viewers to embark on an immersive journey where the boundaries between sound and color dissolve and the universal language of human emotion takes center stage. I encourage viewers to bring their interpretations and emotional connections to the artworks, as music is a deeply personal and subjective experience. By transcending the boundaries of artistic style and embracing the synergy of art forms, I hope to evoke a sense of wonder, inspire introspection, and share the beauty and profound resonance at the intersection of visual art and music.
I exhibit in and around The Berkshires, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and greater New England. My studio is at the Clock Tower Center in Pittsfield, MA. Contact me for commissions or for a tour of my studio. Email: email@example.com
B.A. and B.F.A. from Rice University
Connecticut Academy of Art - Juried show acceptance, 2019.
Honorable Mention for "Music Translations" Series in Juried Show, Conception Art Show, Boston, May 2019.
- The B Magazine, “Talking Art” by Luke Chinman, Fall 2023 Issue.
- iBerkshires.com (July 15, 2023): "Let Your Mind Wander with Guild of Berkshire Artists New Exhibit," Sabrina Damms. Let Your Mind Wander with Guild of Berkshire Artists New Exhibit / iBerkshires.com - The Berkshires online guide to events, news and Berkshire County community information.
- Berkshire Magazine (July 2023): "A Kiss to Build A Dream On," Anastasia Stanmeyer. A Kiss to Build a Dream On — Berkshire Magazine
- The Berkshire Edge (June 29, 2023): BITS & BYTES "Mollie Kellogg and Shany Porras at Art on Main," Monica Bliss.
- Cambridge Art Association: Member Spotlight. Click here: Member Spotlight: Shany Porras – Cambridge Art Association, November 23, 2020.
- It's All About The Arts Magazine - A Creative Combo, March 2020, Curt Naihersey.
- Conception Arts Magazine - Artist Interview: Shany Porras, June 2019, Rachel Wilkins.
- Dover-Sherborn Hometown Weekly - Local Artist Shany Porras Exhibits at Juried Show in Boston, May 9, 2019.